Single Person Discount

Single Person Discount (25%) will apply when only one person aged 18 or over lives in the property.

If the other adult in your property is one of the following, you may be able to receive Single Person Discount:

  • Full time students, student nurses, apprentices and youth training trainees
  • Certain non-British spouses and dependants of students (who are not entitled to claim benefits)
  • Patients living in hospital/care homes
  • People who are severely mentally impaired
  • Care workers working for low pay, usually for charities
  • People staying in certain hostels or night shelters
  • Members of religious communities
  • 18/19 year olds who are at, or have just left school, where child benefit is still in payment
  • People caring for someone with a disability who is not a spouse, partner, or child under eighteen years old
  • People who are in prison, hospital or any other place of detention (except those who are in prison for not paying their Council Tax or fine)
  • Members of international headquarters and defence organisations and their dependants
  • Members of visiting forces and dependants, for example lodging with British citizens
  • Diplomats and senior officials (and their dependants) of certain international organisations

Before you fill in this form

You won't be able to save this form to complete later, so please allow yourself up to 5-10 minutes to fill in the form.

Apply for Single Person Discount

Frequently asked questions

I have a friend staying with me, will this affect my Single Person Discount? SHOW

My partner is a member of the armed forces and is deployed on operations. Do I receive a discount? SHOW

Why have I received a single person review letter? SHOW

Cancelling a Single Person Discount

If you are receiving a Single Person Discount on your Council Tax bill you must inform us if things change. For example, if another adult moves in with you. Or, if someone in your household reaches the age of 18. In either case you will no longer be entitled to this discount.

It is your responsibility to notify the council.


Before you fill in this form

You won't be able to save this form to complete later, so please allow yourself five minutes to fill in the form.

Cancel your Single Person Discount