We are looking to recruit volunteers to help us run The Hawthorns Urban Wildlife Centre.
You do not have to be a wildlife expert, just have a keen interest in the natural environment, a willingness to learn about how and why the garden is managed for nature and the ability to communicate with visitors to the Centre.
There are lots of opportunities to get involved including;
- Helping keep the Centre open at weekends by talking to visitors and helping them get more out of their visit
- Leading short guided walks around the grounds
- Leading guided walks on Southampton Common
- Helping with or running an activity such as minibeast hunts or environmental games
- Creating or helping with hands-on family friendly themed activities/arts and crafts
- Help to develop displays and other resources
There are also opportunities to help at Forest School type activities or helping to run educational activities for school, youth and young people groups.
Volunteers that help with these groups will be required to complete a DBS application. Please note that Forest Schools take place at sites other than The Common.
How to apply
You can complete the online application form below, providing us with:
- Your interest in volunteering
- Your skills, experience and personal qualities
- A reference from an independent person in support of your application (optional)
- Any details about previous convictions and cautions for criminal offences.
The Hawthorns Urban Wildlife Centre is currently closed, although we hope to re-open later in the year.
If you would like to be kept informed of volunteering opportunities at The Centre in the future, please complete the form and we will be in touch.
We also have a conservation volunteering programme at different locations across the city. If you would like to join the mailing list for the conservation volunteers you can register your interest by emailing email@example.com
Before you fill in this form
You won't be able to save this form to complete later, so please allow yourself 10-15 minutes to fill in the form.
Please note: Due to the unsupervised nature of the volunteer sessions, we regret we are unable to accept applications from persons under 18 or those requiring one to one support.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone 023 8067 1921
Staff are not always available to answer the telephone during the week and not at all at weekends but if you leave a message, we will get back to you as soon as possible.
You can also find more information about the Café at The Hawthorns