Depending on the nature of the building project, you will need one of the following
- Building regulations approval
- Planning permission
- Both of the above
When do I need building regulations approval?
You need building regulations approvals for
- New buildings
- Changing existing buildings
- The installation of controlled services and fittings
- Changing the use of a building
What do building regulations cover?
Building regulations cover a number of important things, including
- Structure, strength and stability
- Fire safety
- Moisture resistance
- Toxic substances
- Sound insulation
- Drainage and waste disposal
- Heat-producing equipment
- Energy saving
- Disabled access and facilities
- Safety glazing
If you are unsure if you need building regulations approval and/or planning permission, visit the Planning Portal.