Self-build register

The Self-Build and Custom Housebuilding register

The Government wants to help more people to build or commission their own homes. Self-build homes are projects where the person directly organises the design and construction of a new home themselves. There are a variety of ways of completing a self-build project with individuals or groups either building the homes themselves or working with specialist developers on custom build homes.  On 1 April 2016 in accordance with the ‘Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Act’ 2015 (as amended by the ‘Housing and Planning Act’ 2016) Southampton City Council created a register to assess the level of demand for self-build housing development within the City.

The purpose of the register

The self-build and custom housebuilding register exists to enable individuals (or associations of individuals) to express their interest in acquiring a serviced plot to build a house which they intend to occupy as their sole or main residence. The register allows the Council to understand the demand for self and custom-build housing plots and to ensure that this is considered when developing planning policies and allocating sites through the Local Plan, but also when regenerating or disposing of Council land. Please note, the register is not a waiting list for serviced plots, but where possible the Council will try to promote self and custom-build housebuilding to landowners with suitable sites and will facilitate access to those on the register where the landowner is interested.

If you wish to be added to the register please contact Southampton City Council planning policy enquiries with the following information:

  • Name and contact details (address, telephone and email address) 
  • Preferred size of plot and location within Southampton 
  • Indication of the type of home proposed 
  • If the application is made by an association of individuals, the name and address of the lead contact and the number of serviced plots within Southampton city council's boundary the members are seeking to acquire.

In order to meet the government’s eligibility criteria please also confirm that the applicant (or each member of an association) is:

  • Over 18 years of age 
  • Either a British citizen, or national of an European Economic Area state or a Swiss national 
  • Seeking a plot to occupy as their sole or main residence

Please note that self build homes are subject to the same requirement for planning permission as other homes.

For more information on self-build homes please visit The Self Build portal.