Moving house

If you are moving house before the application deadline, you must amend your online application or submit a new paper application form.

If you move house after the application deadline, we will consider your new address for your application if you send sufficient evidence to us by:

  • Year 7 (secondary school) applications: Wednesday 15 November 2023
  • Year R (infant/primary school) applications: Tuesday 30 January 2024
  • Year 3 (junior school) applications: Tuesday 30 January 2024

Remember: Address evidence received after these dates cannot be considered for your application. It will only be used to communicate the outcome of the application.

Living outside Southampton at the time of application

If you are intending to move to Southampton (SO14-SO19) before the deadline for Year R, 3 or 7 school place applications, but do not yet have an address here, please contact your current home local authority. You will be able to list Southampton schools as your first preference. Your waiting list position will be amended once you have confirmed and notified us of your new address.

Moving part-way through the academic year

If you are moving into Southampton from another local authority or another country part-way through the academic year, you will need to complete an in-year transfer application.

You can also change the schools named on your application if they are no longer appropriate.

Proof of your new address

Please refer to the information below for the evidence required depending on your type of move.

  • Property sale - a solicitor's letter confirming exchange of contracts
  • Property rental - a signed copy of your tenancy agreement (usually 12 months)
  • Returning to owned property - Evidence of ownership of the property (for example a council tax or utility bill) and your intended residence date. This could include evidence that you are leaving your current home and your new property is available for you to move into
  • Moving to live with partner/friend/relative - a letter from the partner/friend/relative confirming the arrangements plus evidence which demonstrates you are a resident at the new address, such as a household bill, driver's licence, bank statement. Your application can be only based on the new address once you are actually living there
  • Child moving from one parent to another - written confirmation from both parents of the new arrangements and proof of the new address (for example a recent council tax or utility bill)
  • UK service personnel and crown servants - an official letter declaring relocation date and future home address, unit postal address or quartering area address
  • Domestic violence refuge - a letter from refuge staff confirming that you are living there

Remember: Places are withdrawn every year because parents give a false address on their application. This includes cases where parents buy or rent a property solely to use the address in the application, without any intention of taking up permanent residence there.

We will investigate all allegations of false addresses and may monitor residency details if use of a temporary address causes concern.


Before you fill in this form

You won't be able to save this form to complete later, so please allow yourself five minutes to fill in the form.

You will also need the following, so make sure you have it to hand

  • Proof of your new address (see table below)

Notify us of a change of address