The Specialist Teaching and Advisory Team provide a statutory service for families and schools around children and young people with sensory impairment, aged 0-25yrs, in Southampton, following hospital referral.
The nature of our role is to provide better outcomes for children/young people with sensory impairment and their families through:
- Information and sign posting to other services
- Direct specialist teaching
- Continual monitoring of progress
- Training for educational staff around sensory impairment
- Provision and maintenance of, and instruction in the use of specialist equipment
- Involvement with statutory assessment procedures and Education, Health and Care Plans (EHCP)
- Support for parents/carers from the child’s birth onwards, following diagnosis
- Guidance for families in selecting appropriate educational placements and through transition periods.
- Ongoing support is provided according to the National Sensory Impairment Partnership (NATSIP) for pre-schools, schools and further education colleges
- Direct links with other services and resource bases/schools for hearing and visual impairment.