You must pay a toll to cross the Itchen Bridge in Southampton. This can be paid in advance by topping up a SmartCities card or with cash or contactless payment when you reach the toll booth.
Contactless payments are now accepted on the Itchen Bridge.
There is one card reader in place on each booth that will take both the contactless and SmartCities Card payments.
The upgrade means that a small number of older SmartCities Cards will need replacing. If you are one of these card holders we will have sent you an email and a text message already with instructions to contact us so that we can send you a new card.
If you haven’t received this message and your SmartCities Card did not work then we may have out of date contact information for you. If your card does not work please email email@example.com and supply your account number (10 digits – at back of card), address and date of birth. We will send you a new card in the post.
Itchen Bridge charges and peak times
Charges are calculated by vehicle height at the front axle in metres.
|Vehicle class||Height at first axle||Toll due||Concessions|
|Class 1 - motorcycles and three-wheeled vehicles||n/a||No charge||n/a|
|Class 2 - cars, small vans and small 4x4s||Up to 1.33m||80p (peak), 70p (off peak)||
Residents Concessionary toll: 40p (peak), 30p (off peak)
|Class 3 - large vans (e.g. transit) and large 4x4s||Between 1.33m to 2.39m||£1.40||
Business Concessionary toll: 60p
|Class 4 - HGVs||More than 2.39m||£25.00||
Business Concessionary toll: £2.00
- Peak times are Monday to Friday 7-9:30am and 4-6:30pm
- All other times are off peak, including weekends and bank holidays
- There is no charge on Christmas Day
- Cash payment accepted - acceptable coins 10p, 20p, 50p, £1 and £2
- We are unable to offer change
- Owners of fully electric vehicles can cross the Itchen Bridge free of charge with a SmartCities card by applying for an Electric Vehicle concession
- Non-residents in cars, small vans and small 4x4s will pay a higher toll than residents using a SmartCities card
Please note: Towed extras such as trailers and caravans are considered part of your vehicle. Provided you have the proper towing equipment, you will only be charged once for crossing the bridge.
For more information please read our Itchen Bridge FAQs.
If you experience any issues, please use the help button on the payment machine at the bridge.
For more information about the toll, you can read the Itchen Bridge Toll Order
Make it to the game on time
Get updates on roadworks - sign up to City News