Highway licences

You must have an appropriate licence to work on or occupy the public highway. Below are the different highway licences you can apply for.

The term 'highway' includes roads, pavements and verges. It is an offence to obstruct the free passage of the public highway.

Public highway licences

Temporary Traffic Management

Roadworks and Section 58 restrictions

Accessing roads in a moving traffic area, including bus lanes and bus gates

Certain roads within Southampton City have restricted access to vehicles. If you need access to these roads and are on the list of vehicles that can request an exemption, you can do this using our online form. More information can be found on our access moving traffic area webpage.

Regulation Summary

A summary of the eligibility criteria for this permission. Local authority guidance notes will be attached to each of our permissions to outline any further requirements that we require from the applicant.

Application evaluation process

We will endeavour to process your application as quickly as possible. Due to the nature of this permission and third party interest we will aim to grant permission within 8 weeks of the application being made. This however is subject to receiving all required documentation, correct payment and the suitability of the location.

Will tacit consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority MUST process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the authority within a reasonable period, please contact us.

Failed application and permission holder redress

Please contact the Local Authority in the first instance. Applicants may appeal to the West Hampshire Magistrates' Court against refusal to issue a licence or against conditions of the permission.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Further information

If you would like to construct or extend a building on or over the public highway you will require a Highway projection licence.