A licence must be obtained to operate any type of crane/access machinery on the public highway, or if any part of the crane/access machinery or its load over-sails the public highway at any time during the lift for any length of time.
The term 'highway' includes roads, pavements and verges.
Who can apply?
Only contractors who hold £10 million public liability insurance can apply for a licence.
- £295 for mobile crane/access machinery licence includes £160 licence fee and pre and post inspections at £67.50
- £410 for tower crane licence includes £275 licence fee and pre and post inspections at £67.50 each
Please note that you are not able to extend these licences. You will need to make a new application instead.
Apply for or change a licence
Before applying, please read the impact on street lighting assets.
Before you fill in this form
You won't be able to save this form to complete later, so please allow yourself five minutes to fill it in.
You will need:
- Payment card details if you are applying for a new licence
- Evidence of public liability insurance (optional)
- Plan of projection (optional)
If you have any questions, please contact:
Telephone: 023 8079 8077