Building materials on the highway

Wherever possible, building materials should be stored on private land as a licence is not required to store building materials on private land.

Where it is necessary to temporarily store building materials on the public highway, you must first apply for a building materials licence before storing any materials on the public highway.

The term ‘public highway’ includes roads, pavements and verges.

Who can apply?

Anyone wishing to temporarily store building materials on the public highway can apply.


£324 for a four-week licence. This includes:

  • £50 licence fee
  • £71 site inspection fee
  • £153 deposit
  • £50 for the first four weeks

The deposit will be refunded upon notifications that building materials have been removed, and a satisfactory result received for post inspection.

This license is renewable every four weeks at £50 per block of four weeks

Apply for, extend or change a licence

Before making an application, please read impact on street lighting assets.


Before you fill in this form

You won't be able to save this form to complete later, so please allow yourself five minutes to fill it in.

You will need:

  • Payment card details if you are applying for a new or extending an existing licence
  • Evidence of public liability insurance (optional)
  • Plan of projection (optional)

Apply for a highway occupation licence

If you have any questions, please contact: