A to Z of Council Services

Data protection

General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) controls how personal information relating to living people is dealt with.

More about... Data protection

Also see


Advice on budgeting, dealing with creditors and maximising your income.

More about... Help with debt

Deferred payments

The Care Act 2014 introduced a universal deferred payments scheme so that no one should be forced to sell their home in their lifetime to pay for their social care.

More about... Deferred payments

Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DoLS)

These safeguards concern people in hospitals and care homes who may need to be deprived of their liberty to protect them from serious harm.

More about... DOLS

Digital magazines and newspapers

You can view copies of various magazines and newspapers online.

More about... Digital magazines and newspapers

Direct payments

Direct payments are available to you if you are eligible for help from social care. They allow you to receive money to buy services or equipment.

More about... Direct Payments

Disabled bays

You can apply to have a disabled bay marked on the street outside or near to your home.

More about... Residential Disabled Bays

Disabled facilities grant

A grant to help people with the cost of adapting their homes to enable them to continue living there.

More about... Disabled facilities grant

Disabled parking & Blue Badge scheme

Apply for a Blue Badge for disabled parking.

More about... Blue Badge parking

Discretionary Housing Payments

Apply for additional help if your Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction do not cover your costs.

More about... Discretionary Housing Payments


Advice on lost and found dogs, plus dog control and microchipping.

More about... Dogs

Also see

Door supervisors - licensing

More about... Door supervisors

Drainage issues

Report drainage issues on roads, pavements or other land.

More about... Blocked drains

Dropped kerbs

More about... Dropped kerbs

Drug and alcohol recovery service

More about... Drug and alcohol recovery service

Back to top of A to Z