Pay the council online

Below is a list of services with links to the appropriate payment pages. You will need your account number or a reference number to be able to complete the payment.

IMPORTANT: Southampton City Council has implemented 3D Secure for its payment services. Your card must be registered for 3D Secure for the payment to be successful. This can be completed via your issuing bank's online banking system.

We are aware that customers using new John Lewis payment cards may be experiencing issues when attempting to make a payment through our web site or call centres. We apologise for the inconvenience and are working to resolve the issue with our card payment providers (Mastercard and Opayo) as soon as possible. In the meantime, we advise using a card issued by an alternative provider until this is resolved.


Animal welfare 

This includes payments for lost and found dogs and licenses for: home boarding (dog sitting), animal boarding, dog breeding, riding establishments, performing animals, zoos, pet shops and dangerous wild animals.

Building control 

This includes payments for archived applications, exempt applications and solicitor documents.

Please note: If you have an invoice then please use the invoice option below.

Council Tax and Business Rates 


  • Housing Benefit Overpayment
  • Housing Rent - You can pay for the following using our online payment form:
    • Housing rent (for all account types)
    • Service charges (leaseholders)
    • Shared ownership rent
    • Repair charge invoice
    • Major works invoice
    • Garage or parking space rental fee

This form is for payment reference numbers beginning with D or 14, I or 15, F or 16, G or 17, H or 18.


You will need your invoice number which can be found at the top right or bottom right of the invoice.

Music services 

This includes payments for music parental contributions, insurance income and tour/ trip income, peripatetic lessons, Trinity and ABRSM exam entries, ensemble membership payment and instrument hire.

council logo