The guidelines have been prepared to assist businesses and enforcement bodies with some practical guidance on the application of the various provisions of the EU Kitchenware Regulation and:
- EU kitchenware guidelines to provide guidance on the application of Commission Regulation (EU) No. 284/2011
- Clarify the applicable provisions of Regulation (EC) No. 882/2004 on official controls
- Provide the legal clarifications
- Provide guidance on how competent authorities and customs authorities should collaborate
- Provide a common approach/methodology for testing and sampling conditions of the articles in relation to the detection limit of primary aromatic amines (PAAs) and the migration limit for formaldehyde
- Provide guidance for Member States on how to send the quarterly report to the Commission in accordance with Article 9 of the EU Kitchenware Regulation
The technical guidelines developed by the Commissions Joint Research Centre (JRC) for laboratories on testing for the migration of PAAs from polyamide kitchenware and for formaldehyde from melamine plastic kitchenware, have also been published.
The guidelines have been developed to provide a unified approach for sampling and testing procedures for polyamide and melamine plastic kitchenware and to ensure that laboratories in charge of official controls, use methods of analysis with comparable levels of performance in a uniform way in order to ensure compliance and a harmonised approach to enforcement across the EU.
Any queries on the guidelines should be addressed to the European Commission or the Joint Research Centre respectively.