We set social value high on the agenda by going beyond the requirements of the legislation and considering social value across all spend over £5,000, in accordance with our Social Value and Green City Procurement Policy.
Our aim is to enhance the local economic, social and environmental benefit achieved via our spend and contracting arrangements with suppliers including delivering long-lasting and sustainable positive impacts and outcomes for Southampton’s communities and businesses.
This links to the Southampton Pound initiative which centres around the vision that the money made and generated in the city should support and bolster the local economy and bring social and environmental benefit.
The Southampton Pound initiative also supports the Green City Charter.
What are our key objectives?
Objective 1: Source more goods, services and works locally when Best Value can be demonstrated and in so far as legal requirements permit;
Objective 2: Maximise the benefit to Southampton and its economy from the money generated and spent by the council and other Southampton based organisations and their supply chains;
Objective 3: Increase the social value related commitments within appropriate contracts and ensure they are delivered.
What does social value mean to the council?
- Tangible social and environmental benefit for Southampton achieved through spend with suppliers
- Suppliers meet or exceed Ethical Procurement and Green City Procurement Principles
- Innovative, cost-effective supplier solutions which benefit the city, its residents and economy
- Sourcing more goods, services and works locally
- Ethical and sustainable sourcing through supply chains
- Creating employment opportunities for local people
- Using contracts to maximise social value benefits
- Maximising tendering opportunities for local SMEs and VCSEs
How our suppliers are helping us achieve our objectives
Easy guides for buyers and suppliers can be found here: