Modern Slavery

What to do if I am worried someone is a victim of Modern Slavery?

Staff who are first responders need to complete a referral to the National Referral Mechanism can find additional information at Modern slavery victims: referral.

Home Office guidance on what to do if you think someone is a victim of modern slavery can be found at Modern slavery: duty to notify.

Even more information about Modern Slavery is accessible from Southampton Safeguarding Children Partnership - Modern Slavery and Southampton Safeguarding Adults Board - Modern Slavery.


Modern slavery and human trafficking is included within the council’s safeguarding training for children and adults. This training is mandatory for all officers who as ‘first responders’ may be required to complete a referral as part of the National Referral Mechanism (see appendix one and two). This is a consistent approach across the county agreed through the 4LSCB* and 4LSAB* executive groups.

In addition to this an e-learning package has been developed for use across Hampshire and will be delivered by Southampton City Council (SCC) as part of a mandatory training programme for most council employees. Training will also be included in an annual programme designed to support elected members of the council. SCC staff can access this training via their My Learning account.

There is a wealth of training about Modern Slavery that can be accessed via the Hampshire Modern Slavery Partnership.

Further resources can be found on the Department of Health, About the Modern Slavery programme.

You can also read Southampton’s Modern Slavery Statement.

Reporting modern slavery

If you suspect modern slavery, report it to the Modern Slavery Helpline on 0800 012 1700 or the police on 101. In an emergency always call 999. Don't leave it to someone else. Your information could save a life.

For local information about Modern Slavery please go to the Southampton Safeguarding Adults Board's information on Modern Slavery.

If you are concerned about a child or young person, please visit Report a concern about a child.

If you are concerned about an adult please visit Spot the Signs of Abuse and Speak Out.