Visiting forces, international organisations or diplomats

Visiting forces, international organisations, or diplomats may be eligible for a single person discount.

Already know you're eligible? Apply quickly and easily online now.

Apply for a single person discount

When considering the number of adults living in a property, we do not count certain people. These include:

  • Members of visiting forces and dependants, for example lodging with British citizens
  • Members of international headquarters and defence organisations and their dependants
  • Diplomats and senior officials (and their dependants) of certain international organisations
  • Full time students, student nurses, apprentices and youth training trainees
  • Certain non-British spouses and dependants of students (who are not entitled to claim benefits)
  • patients living in hospital/care homes
  • People who are severely mentally impaired
  • Care workers working for low pay, usually for charities
  • People staying in certain hostels or night shelters
  • Members of religious communities
  • 18/19 year old who are at, or have just left school, where child benefit is still in payment
  • People caring for someone with a disability who is not a spouse, partner, or child under eighteen years old
  • People who are in prison, hospital or any other place by a court (except those who in prison for not paying their Council Tax or fine)