Single person discount (25%) will apply when only one person aged 18 or over lives in the property.

Already know you're eligible for single person discount? You can apply online now.

Apply for single person discount

Can I get single person discount?

If the other adult in your property is one of the following, you may be able to receive Single Person Discount:

  • Full time students, student nurses, apprentices and youth training trainees
  • Certain non-British spouses and dependants of students (who are not entitled to claim benefits)
  • Patients living in hospital/care homes
  • People who are severely mentally impaired
  • Care workers working for low pay, usually for charities
  • People staying in certain hostels or night shelters
  • Members of religious communities
  • 18/19 year olds who are at, or have just left school, where child benefit is still in payment
  • People caring for someone with a disability who is not a spouse, partner, or child under eighteen years old
  • People who are in prison, hospital or any other place of detention (except those who are in prison for not paying their Council Tax or fine)
  • Members of international headquarters and defence organisations and their dependants
  • Members of visiting forces and dependants, for example lodging with British citizens
  • Diplomats and senior officials (and their dependants) of certain international organisations

Frequently asked questions

I have a friend staying with me, will this affect my single person discount?

It will depend on how long your friend is staying with you. If it is only for a few weeks then you do not need to inform us. If they are staying longer you will need to notify us as soon as possible.

My partner is a member of the armed forces and is deployed on operations. Do I receive a discount?

Unfortunately there is no discount at a property if one of the occupiers is away in the armed forces.

However, all armed forces personnel deployed on operations overseas, who normally pay Council Tax, will now benefit from a tax-free payment on the cost of Council Tax paid directly by the Ministry of Defence.

This is because the house would still be classed as their main residence for taxation purposes. This applies to all those in the armed forces throughout the country and is in accordance with the government guidelines.

Why have I received a single person review letter?

Whilst we are aware that most residents are claiming the discount correctly, this is part of an ongoing review to ensure that Council Tax bills are accurate and that our records are up to date. As part of the review, we will also be checking data from other sources including reviewing details about your household such as, but not limited to, the electoral roll registers and financial sector information.

Any persons failing to respond to requests for further information in relation to their claim will have the claim withdrawn from the beginning of the current financial year or from the date the discount was applied within the current financial year. If, during the review process, checks show that another adult is living at the address, the discount will be withdrawn.

You can either complete your review online or respond to the letter. Find out more about the Single Person Discount Review.

Cancelling a Single Person discount

If you are receiving a single person discount on your Council Tax bill and another adult moves in with you, or someone in your household reaches the age of 18, you will no longer be entitled to a single person's discount.

Cancel your single person discount