Overcrowded properties

A property could be considered overcrowded if the amount of space or the amenities are inadequate for the number of people living there.

The council can use different methods of assessing the amount of space required, but as a general rule

  • No two adults should have to share a room unless they are a couple
  • Siblings of different sex aged up to 10 are expected to share a room 
  • Siblings of the same sex are expected to share a room until aged 21 
  • There should be adequate living space, kitchen space and personal washing facilities for the number of occupants

If you are a council or housing association tenant and believe that your home is overcrowded you may be able to consider

  • Buying a home - Find details of affordable home ownership by visiting Help to Buy South 
  • Mutual exchange - Find another local authority or housing association tenant to swap properties with. Register for free on the Homeswapper website
  • Contacting the Council or Housing Association - We work in partnership with a number of housing associations who have homes for rent in the city – find further details on Homebid

If you live in private rented accommodation and believe that your landlord has deliberately overcrowded your property, or if you have concerns about another property being overcrowded, please report it using the form below.

The form will take approximately 10 minutes to complete. Ensure you have all necessary information to hand as there is no facility to save the form part way through.

Report a concern about a property

If you are concerned about your rented home or want more advice and information about how to report problems visit our Housing section.