Firstly, establish where the problem is occurring and follow the relevant advice below.

  • Drain - A drain is the pipe which takes waste water away from one property.
  • Sewer - Collects water and waste from the drains of more than one property.
  • Road gully - These are the grate-covered openings at the edge of the road which drain surface water away.

Problems with drains

If you find your toilet is blocked, sink overflows or there is a smell coming from a drain grid or inspection chamber, check to see if your neighbours are experiencing similar problems. If they are not affected it is likely your drain is blocked and the responsibility lies with you.

If there is a fault or blockage with your drain which you are not able to resolve contact a reputable specialist contractor

If you rent your property inform your landlord

Problems with sewers

If there is a problem with drains or overflowing manholes outside the boundary of your property the responsibility usually lies with Southern Water, however there can be exceptions.

For further information on what is the responsibility of Southern Water and what is not, please see their problems in private drains page.

Telephone: 033 0303 0368

Report a drainage issue

Problems with road gullies

If the drain itself is blocked it will be attended by the Council’s Highways Strategic Partner, Balfour Beatty Living Places

If the problem is leaves, twigs or other debris blocking the grate, the street cleansing team will attend and clear it.

When extreme rainfall conditions are forecast, residents can help by removing any leaves or debris that might block drains.

If you notice a problem with one of these please report it to us by completing our online form. The form will take approximately 10 minutes to complete.

Report a road gully (drain) issue