Fly-tipping on public land

Our street cleansing team currently deals with nearly 3,000 public reports of fly-tipping on public land each year, with over 75% of cases being actioned within one working day of report.

We work closely with specialist colleagues in the regulatory services team to ensure evidence found on site is investigated. We particularly focus on ‘rogue trader’ waste activities, and local ‘hot spots’ where fly-tipping frequently recurs.

Fly-tipping is a criminal offence with significant penalties available to the courts when the perpetrators are identified.

This form should be used to report street cleaning issues on public land. If the issue you are reporting is on private land or property it will need to be resolved by the land owner or occupier. However, there are some cases where we help with issues on private sites that are publicly accessible, these include the removal of:

  • Sharps and hazardous waste
  • Chest freezers
  • Graffiti of an obscene or defamatory nature

For other issues on private land, we provide a chargeable removal and disposal service to help land owners, landlords and businesses get litter and fly-tipping removed quickly and effectively from their land. This will give you confidence that the waste will be disposed of legally, professionally, and in an environmentally friendly way. To find out more about our services, please email:

However, if you have witnessed a case of fly-tipping (on private or public land) and have evidence of who the perpetrator is then please continue with this form so we can investigate further. Fly-tipping is a criminal offence with significant penalties available to the courts when the perpetrators are identified.


Before you fill in this form

You won't be able to save this form to complete later, so please allow yourself up to five minutes to fill in the form.

Report fly-tipping on public land

Waste crime

There are some easy steps the public can take to take to avoid unwittingly contributing to waste crime:

  • Check the people taking away your rubbish are registered waste carriers. Ideally they should have a copy of their registration documents on them; ask to see these. You can check their licence number at, or call 03708 506506 and the Environment Agency can check for you
  • Get a written receipt/transfer note showing their contact details, a description of your waste and details of where they are taking it
  • Note down the make, colour and registration number of the vehicle that’s taking your waste away

Check if a waste carrier is licensed

If you're hiring a waste carrier to remove and properly dispose of rubbish for you, then you have a duty of care to ensure that the waste carrier is licensed.

Check if a waste carrier is licensed

We recommend that you also request a receipt and retain it for at least two years. If your rubbish is found dumped by the waste carrier you've hired, and you can't show you carried out any checks, then you could potentially be prosecuted.