Starting junior school (Year 3)
If your child is in Year 2 and attends an infant school, you should apply for a Year 3 place at a junior or primary school for September 2023.
Applications are now closed. Please see below for information on making a late application.
Apply for a school place - UNDER REPAIR
All applications received after 23:59 on 15 January 2023 will be considered late applications and will not be processed until after the on-time applications.
Late applications are made, with limited exception, via the late applications form on the Southampton City Council website.
For children attending infant schools, an application needs to be made for their Year 3 place at a junior school.
Some parents with a child in Year 2 at an infant school may wish to apply for a Year 3 place in a primary school. In addition to applying for a junior school place, you will need to make an in-year application for the preferred primary school.
For main round applications, the school place offered will be for a full time place starting from 1 September 2023. Find out more about how to apply for a school place.
You can now read information on the process for 'mainround' admission into Year 7 for the 2023/24 academic year:
- Coordinated Scheme for Entry Into Year 3 at Junior Schools (2023/24)
- SCC Junior Admissions Policy (2023/24)
- Supplementary Information Form (SIF) (2023/24)
Linked infant and junior schools
Many infant and junior schools are linked and work collaboratively. While a place at a linked junior school is not guaranteed, it is a priority used in the admissions policies when allocating places due to oversubscription. Find out more about linked infant and junior schools.
Other useful information
- Junior school admissions policies
- Primary school admissions policies
- Infant, junior and primary school performance data
- Junior schools catchment map
- Infant and primary school catchment map
- How places were offered at oversubscribed junior schools for 2022 entry
- How places were offered at oversubscribed junior schools - last three years
- Ofsted reports | Changes to inspections from September 2019