Children currently in Year 6 at a primary or junior school, or born between 1 September 2008 and 31 August 2009, are able to start Year 7 in a secondary school in September 2021.
Late secondary applications made between 1 November and 31 December will receive offers the week commencing 8 March 2021.
Late secondary applications made between 1 January and 28 February will receive offers the week commencing 10 May 2021.
Late secondary applications made between 1 March and 31 April will receive offers the week commencing 28 June 2021.
Late secondary applications made between 1 May and 31 June will receive offers the week commencing 26 July 2021.
Late secondary applications made between 1 July and 31 August will be offered on a rolling basis.
Secondary schools provide education for children between 11 and 16 years of age. The National Curriculum organises the year groups as follows:
|Age||School year||Key stage|
|Between 11 and 12||7||3|
|Between 12 and 13||8||3|
|Between 13 and 14||9||3|
|Between 14 and 15||10||4|
|Between 15 and 16||11||4|
An important part of this process is enabling them to get the best possible results at key stage 3 of the National Curriculum and the General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE) - the examination courses taken during years 10 and 11.
For main round applications, the school place offered will be for a full time place starting from 1 September 2021. Find out more about how to apply for a school place.
If you want to change schools part-way through the academic year, you will need to complete an in-year transfer application.
2022/23 academic year
You can now read information on the process for 'mainround' admission into Year 7 for the 2022/23 academic year:
- Coordinated Scheme for Entry Into Year 7 at Secondary Schools
- SCC Secondary Admissions Policy
- Supplementary Information Form (SIF) 2022-23
Other useful information
- Secondary school admissions policies
- Secondary school performance data
- Secondary schools catchment area map
- How places were offered at oversubscribed secondary schools for 2020 entry
- How places were offered at oversubscribed secondary schools - last three years
- Ofsted reports | Changes to inspections from September 2019