Children currently in Year 6 at a primary or junior school, or born between 1 September 2010 and 31 August 2011, are able to start Year 7 in a secondary school in September 2022.
Applications for Year 7 closed on 31 October 2021.
All applications received after 23:59 on 31 October 2021 will be considered late applications and will not be processed until after the on-time applications.
Late applications are made, with limited exception, via a form on the Southampton City Council website.
Offers will be made to late applicants on the following basis:
|Application received between||Offer made|
|1 November - 31 December 2021||W/C 15 March 2022|
|1 January - 28 February 2021||W/C 9 May 2022|
|1 March - 30 April 2022||W/C 27 June 2022|
|1 May - 31 June 2022||W/C 25 July 2022|
|1 July - 31 August 2022||Rolling offers throughout the period|
Before you fill in this form
You won't be able to save this form to complete later, so please allow yourself up to 15 minutes to fill in the form.
Any parent or guardian who has been refused a school place for their child has the right to appeal the decision.
More information can be found on our appeals pages.
Secondary schools provide education for children between 11 and 16 years of age. The National Curriculum organises the year groups as follows:
|Age||School year||Key stage|
|Between 11 and 12||7||3|
|Between 12 and 13||8||3|
|Between 13 and 14||9||3|
|Between 14 and 15||10||4|
|Between 15 and 16||11||4|
An important part of this process is enabling them to get the best possible results at key stage 3 of the National Curriculum and the General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE) - the examination courses taken during years 10 and 11.
For main round applications, the school place offered will be for a full time place starting from 1 September 2022. Find out more about how to apply for a school place.
If you want to change schools part-way through the academic year, you will need to complete an in-year transfer application.
You can now read information on the process for 'mainround' admission into Year 7 for the 2022/23 academic year:
- Coordinated Scheme for Entry Into Year 7 at Secondary Schools (2022/23)
- SCC Secondary Admissions Policy (2022/23)
- Supplementary Information Form (SIF) (2022/23)
You can now read information on the process for 'mainround' admission into Year 7 for the 2023/24 academic year:
- Coordinated Scheme for Entry Into Year 7 at Secondary Schools (2023/24)
- SCC Secondary Admissions Policy (2023/24)
- Supplementary Information Form (SIF) (2023/24)
Other useful information
- Secondary school admissions policies
- Secondary school performance data
- Secondary schools catchment area map
- How places were offered at oversubscribed secondary schools for 2022 entry
- How places were offered at oversubscribed secondary schools - last three years
- Ofsted reports | Changes to inspections from September 2019