Club premises certificates

A club premises certificate is required by any qualifying club that undertakes "qualifying club activities", as defined in part 4 of the Licensing Act 2003. A qualifying club will be one where the club and its assets are held for the mutual benefit of its members. The law on such clubs can be complex and appropriate independent legal advice should always be obtained prior to an application being made.

Apply for a Club Premises Certificate

Please see the prescribed forms and guidance for detailed information on making applications. Applications must be returned to the Licensing Team with all required accompanying documents and the fee, and copies sent to the appropriate responsible authorities. Application forms are prescribed by the legislation, as are the responsible authorities who should be consulted prior to applications being made, particularly those for variation or new licences.

The information available in the guidance notes is not a substitute for prospective applicants obtained their own specialist legal advice - please note that the city council's staff cannot provide legal advice about your application.

Mandatory conditions

All club premises certificates are potentially subject to one or more of the Mandatory Conditions, specified under sections 73, 73A, 73B and 74 of the Licensing Act 2003. These relate to the sale and supply of alcohol and the exhibition of films, and appear on individual certificates. Section 32 and schedule 4 of the Policing and Crime Act 2009 gives the Secretary of State power to specify additional Mandatory Conditions. 

From 6 April 2010, 1 October 2010, and 28 May 2014 further Mandatory Conditions have been imposed by the Government on premises selling or supplying alcohol. They are as follows:

  • Irresponsible promotions and games - (on sales/supply only)
  • Free potable water for customers - (on sales/supply only)
  • Free tap water for customers - effective from 6 April 2010 (on sales/supply only)
  • Age verification policy - (on and off sales/supply)
  • Choice of small measures - (on sales/supply only)
  • Prohibition of the sale of alcohol at a price below the total of duty plus VAT - (on and off sales/supply)

Information on the mandatory conditions, a calculator for duty plus VAT, the Home Office's updated Statutory Guidance, guidance on selling alcohol responsibly and good practice examples and an example of an age verification policy. Further guidance on the mandatory conditions appears on the Home Office. Please note that the mandatory conditions are effective whether or not they physically appear on your certificate.

Club premises

If a club is not a qualifying club under the 2003 Act or also undertakes "licensable activities" (defined in part 3 of the 2003 Act), an application for a new premises licence will be required.

All qualifying clubs wishing to serve alcohol or provide regulated entertainment have been required to have a club premises certificate. Please note that the law has changed significantly and entertainment in clubs is now a regulated activity under the legislation and all applications should include them if they are to take place. All club registration certificates previously issued by the Magistrates' Court under the Licensing Act 1964 expired on 24 November 2005.

Any extensions of hours or temporary events at the club premises, or other premises being used by the club for regulated activities should be the subject of Temporary Events Notices.

A club premises certificate is required for any premises where any of the following take place:

  • Supply of alcohol to members and bona fide guests
  • Regulated entertainment

Regulated entertainment is defined as:

  • A performance of a play
  • An exhibition of a film
  • An indoor sporting event
  • A boxing or wrestling entertainment
  • A performance of live music
  • Any playing of recorded music
  • A performance of dance
  • Anything similar to music or dancing

A club premises certificate will not authorise the sale of alcohol, provision of regulated entertainment or provision of late night refreshment to anyone who is not a member of the club or who is a bona fide guest under the rules of the club. If such sales or provision are anticipated, either premises licence should be obtained or a temporary event notice given.

Data Protection 

Please note that the licensing authority may be required by law to disclose to the appropriate authorities, from time to time, further information relating to applications and licences for the purposes of law enforcement and the prevention of fraud.