Moving into Southampton? Register for Council Tax

If you are new to the area, you will need to register with us. You will need to fill in the online form below, providing us with some details.

If only one person aged 18 years old or over lives in the property you can apply for Single Person Discount at the end of the form.

Find out more about discounts, exemptions and reductions.

You still need to register even if you don't pay Council Tax.


Before you fill in this form

You won't be able to save this form to complete later, so please allow yourself 10 minutes to fill in the form.

You will need:

  • The date your tenancy starts (if renting)/date you bought the property (if buying)
  • The date you are moving in to the property (if renting)/date that you are moving furniture into the property (if buying)
  • If the property is furnished or unfurnished (if renting)
  • Details of the adults 18 years old or over who will be living there – including students etc.

Tell us you are moving in

Once you have registered with us, a bill showing your Council Tax band and payments will be sent within 20 working days.

Remember: If you apply to claim a discount after receiving a bill, you will still have to pay the full amount on your bill until we make a decision. If we do award you the discount, you will receive an amended bill within 15 working days after applying.

Students moving into student housing can find Council Tax information and more on our life events pages.