The hedgehog nest boxes have now found their owners and are going to be delivered to the successful schools who applied for them over the coming months.
Enhance your school grounds and building for wildlife by creating opportunities for animals such as birds, bats, amphibians, reptiles and insects. We have provided some useful links for you below.
- Hampshire Swifts - Swifts have now departed and are making the return journey back to their feeding grounds in Africa. See here the route taken by these amazing birds and how your school can help provide nesting opportunities for returning swifts next summer.
- People's Trust for Endangered Species (PTES)
- Wildlife friendly gardens
- Hedgehog Street - for hedgehog friendly schools
- Hampshire and IoW Wildlife Trust - They offer one of their officers to attend schools (at a small fee) to provide environmental education
- Freshwater Habitats Trust
- Amphibian and Reptile Conservation Trust
- Improving grounds for pollinators Butterfly Conservation Trust
- Case studies and link to how to complete the Eco-Schools accreditation
- Education & outreach resources - batty about bats
- How to help wildlife at school
A good place to start for schools is to know what you currently have, in terms of habitats and species. Then come up with a plan to enhance it.
Look out for this opportunity in the future!
More promotion and event information to come.
Congratulations to the following schools for installing their Hedgehog box:
- Foundry Lane
- St Mary's Primary School
Congratulations to the following schools for installing swift boxes:
- Foundry Lane Primary
- Kanes Hill Primary, who have installed a swift call system to encourage the birds to come and investigate the boxes!
- Redbridge Community School
- Regents Park Community College
- St John's Primary and Nursery School
- Shirley Infant School
- Shirley Junior School
- Swaythling Primary School
Calendar of events
Check back later for further information specific to biodiversity for schools.
You can also see the full calendar of events.
Read about the clean air schools project.