What is our procedure on gypsy and traveller unauthorised campsites?

Once we receive the report we will:

  • Liaise with the police to monitor the site
  • Check who owns the land and contact the relevant people, such as the landowner if private land
  • See if the site is unauthorised and if any action has already been taken
  • Carry out a welfare check of each occupant on the site
  • Work with the landowner to remove the encampment

The welfare check looks at the needs of each occupant of the site, and if there is any reason why they cannot move straightaway. In some situations, we may make a ‘decision to tolerate’ for a set amount of time, based on this check.

Can the council remove unauthorised campsites immediately?

No, removing an unauthorised encampment requires legal proceedings to obtain a court order. This can take some time to complete.

In some circumstances where there is crime or disorder, the police may take action. We advise to report instances of antisocial behaviour to the police. You can do this on Hampshire Constabulary website or by calling their non-emergency number, 101.

Will we investigate outside of normal working hours?

No, we will only act during working hours which is Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5pm (excluding bank holidays).

Call 999 if you, someone else or your property is in immediate danger, or if a crime is in progress.

For more information, you can read our managing unauthorised encampments policy or visit the GOV.UK website for dealing with illegal or unauthorised encampments.