Crane on the highway

A licence must be obtained to operate any type of crane/access machinery on the public highway, or if any part of the crane/access machinery or its load over-sails the public highway at any time during the lift for any length of time.

The term 'highway' includes roads, pavements and verges.

Who can apply?

Only contractors who hold £10 million public liability insurance can apply for a licence.

Before applying please read the crane licence conditions and impact on street lighting assets.


  • £242 for mobile crane/access machinery licence
  • £324 for tower crane licence


Apply for a crane licence

Contact us

Telephone: 023 8079 8077