Tables and chairs consent

Outside dining has become ever more popular and is a brilliant way to increase your appeal to the public. If you want to offer outside seating space, Part 7a table and chairs consent (Highways Act 1980) is a way of getting licenced.

What are the differences between tables and chairs consent and pavement licences?

The application helps to make sure that space is available for the safe and free movement of all highway users. Possible noise disturbance is also considered for residents and business owners.

Who can apply?

  • Pubs, restaurants, bars, cafes, snack bars, coffee shops, or ice cream parlours
  • Businesses who hold £5 million public liability insurance

Current costs

  • New application: £100 for one year
  • Renewal application: £100 for one year
  • Changing existing consent: free

Conditions and requirements

Please carefully read the conditions (relevant to the location of the venue) from one of the below:

Our local conditions also include:

  • National conditions
  • Ensuring accessibility for all
  • Enabling a smoke free area within the tables and chairs area

These outline the requirements and responsibilities for an applicant. They also outline the potential reasons why permission can be revoked or enforcement action can be taken by the relevant city council departments.

You must register and successfully complete the nationally recognised counter terrorism training product referred to as ACT eLearning package. Please visit Protect UK Police for details.


How to apply, renew, change, or surrender consent

You won't be able to save this form to complete later, so please allow yourself at least five minutes to fill in the form.

Although this online form can be completed on a mobile phone, due to the length of this form we recommend you use a desktop, laptop or tablet.

The consultation period is 28 days and a decision can be made within 14 days after the consultation has ended.

If you are making a change, please note that the name of the licensee is non-transferable and therefore any changes of ownership of the premises means a new application will have to be made.

For new applications and renewals, you will need to hand:

  • Clear and legible site plan with dimensions of the relevant area, showing a clear 1.8 metre space to allow pedestrians to pass any tables and chairs area. Please also show any nearby street furniture, cabinets, streetlighting.
  • Designated smoking area plan. This should include clearly labelled smoking and non-smoking sections in 50% of the proposed area
  • Evidence of £5m public liability insurance, which covers the additional seating area. We advise that this has three months left on the policy period
  • Details of any furniture proposed, so the type and number of any items and layout proposed
  • Days of the week and the hours of each day that you intend to use the highway
  • Payment card details

Apply for, renew. change, or surrender tables and chairs consent