Door and window problems

How to fix common door and window problems

How to make a secure temporary repair to a window SHOW

How to draught-proof your windows and doors SHOW

How to fix a squeaking or stiff door SHOW

How to avoid condensation and get rid of mould SHOW

If you are locked out of your property, stuck inside your property or a ground floor/ walkway facing window is smashed leaving your home exposed, please call us.

Some repairs to windows and doors, such as a cracked window / door or lost keys may be charged because they are not caused by general wear and tear. Once you have reported the repair, an advisor will confirm if this is the case. If the damage was called by criminal damage and you have a crime reference number, you can provide this for the charge to be waived. Find out more on charges for repairs

Some are repairs, such as a broken door handle inside your home or damaged sealant, are your responsibility. Find out more about your responsibilities as a tenant.

If you need a new door entry fob to the building, you will need to contact your local housing office

If you would still like to report a repair to us, the easiest and quickest way is to do this online.



Copyright © B&Q plc.

B&Q has kindly given Southampton City Council permission to use these DIY tutorial videos to provide advice and guidance for council tenants. In using these videos, Southampton City Council is neither endorsing nor recommending B&Q products or methods. Other DIY self-help tutorials are available online. Simple repairs of this nature should only be undertaken if you are fit and healthy to do so and have the necessary tools and safety equipment. These repairs are undertaken at your risk and Southampton City Council accepts no responsibility for any damage or injury as a result of DIY repairs relating to these videos