Residents of Southampton who are of pensionable age can apply for their English National concessionary bus pass on a SmartCities card. This will entitle them to free bus travel during off peak times.
Completing the online form*
If you are applying for a SmartCities card for the first time, you will need to include a photograph when completing the electronic application form. Bitterne and Central libraries have a webcam to help you complete your electronic application. Providing a new photograph when renewing your bus pass is optional.
We will do an automated check to confirm your identity and eligibility for a concessionary bus pass.
The online site is unable to process applications for renewals when the previously issued bus pass has expired or for cards with the following services:
- The Disabled Person's Concession for the Itchen Bridge
- The companion bus pass
- Severely sight impaired person’s bus pass
Please see travel for disabled people page.
For the renewal of an existing senior bus pass where the previous card has expired, applications, photographs and supporting evidence (if applicable) can be submitted or requested in the following ways:
- Taken to: Gateway at 1 Guildhall Square, SO14 7FP
- Taken to: Your local Southampton City Council library
- Emailed via: email@example.com
- Posted to: SmartCities, Southampton City Council, Floor 1, Guildhall Square, SO14 7FP
- By telephone: 023 8083 3008
Applications can also be made by downloading the paper application form for first time applications or a bus pass renewal form. These are also available in Southampton City Council libraries, where applications are made or in Gateway at One Guildhall Square.
Before submitting your paper application form, please make sure the following documents are included:
- A recent colour passport photograph of yourself on a light background.
- Proof address on a document (bank statement, utility bill, tenancy agreement) which should be no more than 3 months old
- A personal proof of identification, showing your date of birth (passport, driving licence)
- Also proof of eligibility as advised within the SmartCities application form or information sheets below (please only send copies of evidence as we are unable to return originals)
The paper application form also gives information for all services and documents required.
Please note that bus ticket machines in Southampton will register if a concessionary travel pass is not valid for travel, and will give an alarm signal. Please make sure that you use your latest issued pass which is still in date. Passes which have been reported lost or stolen and replaced are no longer valid.
Telephone: 023 8083 3008