High hedges complaint

If you live in private accommodation and have an issue with your neighbours high hedge and you have exhausted all other means of communication with them about getting it reduced in height, then you may qualify for the Council to assess the hedge under part 8 of the Anti-social Behaviour Act 2003


A high hedge is defined as any two or more evergreen or semi-evergreen trees or shrubs growing next to each other which are taller than two metres.

Enquiries about 1 individual tall tree will not be considered as a high hedge. You can ask the land owner if they will consider reducing the height of the tree. It will be up to the land owner whether they choose to have the height of the tree reduced, dependant on the legal status of the tree.

Request works to a council tree or high hedge

If a council tenant has inherited a high hedge the hedge will be removed.  Council tenants should not plant vigorous conifer hedges in their gardens.

Complain about a privately owned high hedge

Contacting the council and making a high hedges complaint should be seen as a last resort if all other options to resolve the dispute have been unsuccessful.

High hedge complaint form

Next steps

If the complaint is registered the council will inform both the complainant and the hedge owner. A tree officer will visit and assess the hedge. Following this a decision will be made.

The council has 2 options:

  1. The council can issue a letter stating no further action will be taken
  2. The council can serve a Remedial Notice on the hedge owner

The council will inform both the complainant and the hedge owner of the reasons for this decision. The decision can be appealed to the Planning Inspectorate