We maintain trees on public land, including parks, woodlands and open spaces. Tree works are prioritised to ensure that public safety concerns are addressed. Any council-owned tree that is dangerous will be considered an emergency and dealt with straight away.

Report a tree in a dangerous condition

You can report a tree to us that you feel is an immediate hazard to life or property, such as:

  • Fallen trees
  • Fallen branches
  • Hanging broken branches
  • Leaning trees
  • Decayed dangerous trees
  • Vandalised trees ie pulled out, snapped or damaged by fire

We will ask you for information on the location and about how big the tree or branch is. We will also ask if the dangerous tree or branch is causing a hazard on a road, footpath or property.

If you are reporting a leaning tree please tell us when the tree started to lean and if you are able to see the tree roots coming out of the ground.

If you are reporting a decayed dangerous tree please tell us how the tree is dangerous, for example a section of a tree has split out.

You can also report nuisance trees.

Protected trees

If works are required to make a protected tree safe please complete the 5 days notice of works to a protected tree form so that the works can be assessed. The tree owner could face prosecution if they are deemed to have carried out works beyond making a protected tree safe.

Phone us

Office hours: Open at the times below - 023 8083 3005 (option 5)

  • Monday: 8.30am to 5pm
  • Tuesday: 8.30am to 5pm
  • Wednesday: 9am to 5pm
  • Thursday: 8.30am to 5pm
  • Friday: 8.30am to 4.30pm
  • Closed bank holidays

Out of office hours: Monday to Friday 5pm to 8.30am and all day Saturday and Sunday - 023 8023 3344

All Council owned trees are regularly surveyed following the Southampton’s Tree Operational Risk Management System and you can find out more information by looking at our STORMS policy document.

This ensures that trees are maintained in a safe condition and reduces the risk of failure. However, trees are living things and can be affected by weather conditions, therefore if you feel a tree has become an immediate hazard then please contact us.

If the tree is privately owned contact the land owner first. If the land owner refuses to take action or you feel it is an emergency, for example the tree may fall imminently, call the council.

If you believe damage to your property, or injury, has been caused by a council owned tree as a result of negligence on the part of the council, please contact the council’s Risk and Insurance Team.

You can find out more information by looking at our Insurance claims against the council pages.