Domestic abuse

Domestic abuse tenants guide - how we can help

This guide is for anyone who is suffering from domestic abuse and provides guidelines on how we can help them.

It is important that you always remember:

There are no excuses for domestic abuse, you are never to blame for the abuse you are experiencing. The responsibility lies firmly with your abuser.

If you feel frightened, controlled or are hurt by the abuser – call the police. If you or someone you know is in immediate danger call the Police on 999.

If you are experiencing abuse or are hurting someone you love, there is help available.

PIPPA: 023 8091 7917, they will be able to provide you with initial guidance and support and signpost you as needed.

Domestic abuse is defined as:

“any incident or pattern of incidents of controlling, coercive, threatening behaviour, violence or abuse between those aged 16 or over who are, or have been, intimate partners or family members regardless of gender or sexuality. The abuse can encompass, but is not limited to, psychological, physical, sexual, financial, economic or emotional.”

Housing Management is committed to tackling domestic abuse and has policies and procedure in place to help.

There will be somebody available to help you get the immediate help you may require. Our approach is centred on supporting you and your needs. You will not be judged.

How do I report domestic abuse to housing?

To report domestic abuse, or if you have any concerns or questions, contact your Housing Office and a member of the team will contact you within 24 hours. If in immediate danger call 999.

What support can housing offer me?

Housing will offer you support, along with advice and guidance which includes referrals to specialist support agencies who can support you in arranging emergency accommodation if this is needed.

We will try to arrange a meeting at a venue that suits you, so that you will feel safe in reporting the abuse, and with staff of the same gender if requested.

We can also:

  • Arrange additional security to your property such as extra locks, bolts and fire resistant letterboxes
  • Work together to find the most appropriate solutions for you. This may involve referrals to specialist organisations who can provide you with the right level of support to match your needs
  • Look at options for temporary and permanent rehousing if it's not safe for you to stay at your home

For more information please contact your local Housing Office

Housing has a number of services standards for domestic abuse which tell you what to expect from us when you use our service:

  • We are committed to tackling domestic abuse, and we will take action, where appropriate, against perpetrators of domestic abuse 
  • We will take a victim focused approach when working with domestic abuse 
  • We will aim to respond to all reports of domestic abuse on the same day of the initial report
  • We will keep victims of domestic abuse informed at all stages of a case 
  • We will treat domestic abuse cases with priority and confidentiality, unless we have a duty to share information by law, or in child protection circumstances 
  • Where appropriate we will offer support for perpetrators of domestic abuse to change their behaviour 
  • We will offer additional security to victims of domestic abuse and these works where possible will be completed the same day
  • We will complete a domestic abuse risk checklist in all cases, unless one has recently been completed by another agency

We recognise that some victims will face additional barriers to both reporting and seeking help. We remain sensitive to the possibility of domestic abuse occurring regardless of age, gender, class, religion, ethnicity, sexuality, disability, relationship status and will be able to support you to seek the appropriate advice regardless of your circumstance.

More information and further advice can be found in the domestic abuse section of the website including details of specialist support agencies.

We can make this guide available in a variety of formats, please speak with your local housing office for assistance. Independent interpreters will always be used if requested.